Thursday, July 15, 2004

Lucent WaveLan Silver card

Today I won on ebay a Lucent WaveLan 802.11b Silver PCMCIA card to use with the new Newton. Hopefully it'll get here soon, however I still haven't decided on how I'm going to setup the wireless lan in the flat - I'm not sure whether to get a standalone AP or to try and get the firewall/router pc I'm intending to setup to act as an AP. A standalone AP would be the probably be the easiest solution but setting up the firewall to be the AP would take up less space (which is at a premium). I suppose it will mostly depend on whichever is the cheaper option - a standalone AP or a PCI card that can be used as AP (which appears to be any card with an Intersil Prism 2 chipset). Oh, and then there's the little matter of should I go for an 802.11b only network or an 802.11b/g one. While b/g would be more futureproof it's more expensive and as I'm mainly setting this up for the newton I won't be using the g option for some time.

No comments: